Crochet tulip stitch headband 

I’ve had a tutorial for the tulip stitch blanket pinned for some time, but never got round to trying it out; then a suggestion popped up on my Pinterest feed for a child’s headband using the tulip stitch which prompted me to give it a go. 

My little model 💕

I used the Bella Coco (who else?!) video tutorial for the blanket, rather than the written instructions for the headband, as I still can’t read them very well and I find the videos so much easier to follow. The tulip stitch is made up of double crochet, the v-stitch and the puff stitch, and it’s fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I simply did one ‘row’ of tulips measured to the size of my daughter’s head. 

Whilst it was quite simple, my first attempt is not very neat. It didn’t help that I used different thicknesses of yarn for the edges and the flowers, whoops! The ends didn’t match up neatly either, so I came up with a somewhat creative (i.e. lazy) alternative to sewing the ends together – I gathered all the ends of yarn and tied them in a knot. Not the best solution, but it works. I’ll try and be neater next time… when I have three yarns of equal weight! I’ll update when I’ve had the chance to have another go. 

Headband link here:

Video tutorial link here:


Crochet baby elf hat

A new crochet tutorial from Bella Coco (yes, her again, but her tutorials are excellent!) came up on my Pinterest feed and it looked too cute not to try out – a crochet elf hat for babies, just in time for Christmas.

The pattern starts off a bit complicated for a crochet novice like me and I had to undo the stitches and begin again a few times. You start with the headband which is a line of stitches which you join together, and then the rest works in rounds of treble crochet.

Once the initial headband is completed, the rest of the hat progresses quickly and easily. The tutorial is to make a hat for a 6-9 month old,  but I was making one for my newborn, so I adjusted the number of stitches to what I thought would work and estimated its size. It doesn’t look too messy though. 

The tutorial includes a pompom on the end, but I couldn’t find my pompom maker, so I just gathered in the end of the hat to make a point. It fits my baby perfectly and was quick to make during her nap times; I’m delighted with it overall and so is Elise! Link here:

Crochet infinity scarf

With a newborn around it’s been difficult (i.e. impossible) to do any of my Pinterest projects, but I decided to give a bit of crochet a go. I thought that it would be something easy and relaxing to pick up any time the baby was sleeping and I couldn’t snooze. I wanted to make a gift for someone as all the crochet projects I had made previously I kept for myself! So, who better to make a special Christmas crochet gift for than my lovely mum? 

I had saved a Pin for a Bella Coco tutorial for an infinity scarf which seemed like a good place to start. I chose a 7mm hook and the chunkiest yarn I could find in my stash. It was a simple pattern to follow: a V stitch, and it was easy to put down and pick up whenever the baby was napping. 

As the scarf was so straightforward, I decided to pimp it up a bit with some pretty crochet flowers – cue another Bella Coco tutorial!

I also gathered the scarf at the join for a bit more detail (also, I didn’t have enough yarn to do a separate ‘loop’) and to hide the join. I think it looks quite effective. 

Scarf link here:

Flowers link here:

Baby scans frame

I wrote this post over three months ago, but something happened to delay it being published… I became a mother! Elise Patricia James was born on October 5th. 😀 So here is the original post, as I quite like how I ended it. 

Another nursery decoration make for today; I’ve been gathering ideas over the past few weeks for decorating baby’s room. I wanted a way of displaying the scan photos and thought this was a lovely idea, especially as I already had an IKEA frame that was perfect for it.

I used leftover wallpaper samples from my butterfly frame project and cut them to the right size to use as colourful backgrounds for the scans. I wanted each background to be different to make it colourful and interesting, and to link in with the butterflies. 
I tried out different layouts with the photos and labels – both in the middle (scan in top, label beneath); label on the mount; alternating photo on the left in one and on the right in the other – but I thought this layout worked. 

I did attempt to write the labels myself by looking up some simple hand lettering pins, but they didn’t work so I settled on printing the labels in a nice font on some fancy paper leftover from my wedding invitations (nice link, I thought). I now need baby to arrive so I can fill in the final frame. ❤ 

And now it is filled!

Link here: